Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT NOTE: While email addresses are protected and hidden from view to both members and guest, if you have recently received unsolicited email contact from any member or former member, please forward it to us. Click to read more.

Becoming a member of the IG community is as simple as registering. To register, please click on "Login", and then "Register". Please note, registrations are activated manually by a moderator, so there may be a tiny delay in signing up and account activation. Registered, but having trouble with login? Please read this thread.

Members new and old, it's always a good time to re-acquaint yourself with the rules. New members, unsure about where to post stuff, or overwhelmed by the number of forums? Please check out the useful thread index.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Snow dance
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:31 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Suzuha
Fav. Geiko: Komomo
Geimyo: Matsuko
When I frist saw the photos for Sayuris snow dance I thought thay where traying to do this. Sagi Musume
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI78eTvV_fA
Take a look art the simalaritys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz3DROS00k4
Dr.B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:39 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I think you're right. the pace is the same, the outfit is alike and the whole "feel" of the dance is very much like the snow dance in "Memoirs"

Great find

xXx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:31 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Umeha, Mamechiyo, Kikyu
Fav. Motif: cranes,ume, kikusui
Wonderful, I've been wanting to see Sagimusume for a long time. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:05 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

does the dance remind anyone of the Yuki Onna?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:21 pm 
Onesan
Onesan

Fav. Maiko: Fukuho
Fav. Geiko: Mamesuzu
Fav. Motif: Ume
I don't know... there's just something so much more delicate and stunning about how the onnagata does it.  Sayuri's in the movie... looked very much like a... ceasure.  I always pictured her main dance (from the book) to look so much more like the onna gata's preformance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:30 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Kotone wrote:
I don't know... there's just something so much more delicate and stunning about how the onnagata does it.  Sayuri's in the movie... looked very much like a... ceasure.  I always pictured her main dance (from the book) to look so much more like the onna gata's preformance.

And I thought I was the only one who thought that.  Not only did I find the dance out of place, I found absolutely nothing graceful about it.  I know someone is going to shoot me, but when Sayuri came out and started doing what some may call a "dance", I thought she looked like a whore who had just been chased through the snow by a pack of rabid wolves.

(OK, Sayaka will start being nice, now.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:17 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I agree. Some where, someone forgot that nihon buyo is based on Noh movements... the slow, the beautiful and the graceful. all that running around and flinging around... it was undigified. i was watching the special features and you could see that the japanese dance teacher was kinda uncomfortable with things. she kept saying "we just don't do that"... and they'd nag at her until she let them.  :?

xXx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:21 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

That made me get shivers all down my back. I never got that with Sayuri's version. I mean, the MOAG version was still kind of 'whoa' if you didn't know, but this one was much more emotional to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:02 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: sakura, bird, cho, water, star
it seems there are many interpretations of tragic death in the snow in japan... I wish I knew more about the origins and the story.

I've seen scenes kindof like this in japanese comic-books, in plays, etc... many times also though, it's a dual suicide (running away to be with each other and freezing to death)  but of course very  beautiful. :)

She (he) reminded me of yuki onna, yes... but the yuki onna would never die in the snow (since she is a snow demon, kinda sorta...) ... but the imagery, it looks like her doesn't it?

( I love anything even remotely yuki onna -ish!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:32 am 
Onesan
Onesan

Fav. Maiko: Fukuho
Fav. Geiko: Mamesuzu
Fav. Motif: Ume
Kujaku wrote:
That made me get shivers all down my back. I never got that with Sayuri's version. I mean, the MOAG version was still kind of 'whoa' if you didn't know, but this one was much more emotional to me.

See, the only thing that gave me shivers from MOAG... was the music.  The music during that scene was very well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:39 pm 
Onesan
Onesan

Yeah, I really knew nothing about japanese culture/dance when I saw that movie. The dance scene really confused me! I mean, before that everything is so graceful and nice, and then Sayuri has a seizure on stage and I'm supposed to beleive that was a traditional dance!

thanks for posting that video- when I do get to go to japan I'd love to see a play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:53 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Mamechiho
Fav. Geiko: Umeha, Kikutsuru, Kotoha
Kujaku wrote:

Oh, definitely. It was so restrained and elegant, yet powerful at the same time. I got chills, too! Thanks for sharing, Dr. B!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:29 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Umeha, Mamechiyo, Kikyu
Fav. Motif: cranes,ume, kikusui
The dance :x
I just remember sitting in the theatre thinking how horrible the dance was.
She looked like a mad woman having a fit.
The story behind Sagimusume is this:
Sagimusume is the incarnation of an egret who appears on the snowy bank of a stream. Symbolizing her budding love, she wears a Japanese wedding dress and carries a traditional rice-paper umbrella. As a reflection of her heightened emotional state, her costume changes and she begins an impassioned dance. When she finds her love is unrequited, her gown changes again and she begins to succumb to a broken heart, bowing down to death amidst the cold of winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:25 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Toshihana, Taneju
Fav. Motif: yukiwa, nami, jigami
Geimyo: とし葉
Kuroneko wrote:
does the dance remind anyone of the Yuki Onna?

*nods* admittedly I thought of that when I saw it ^_^ But the first place I heard of yuki-onna was my D&D books  :wink:

I love Tamasaburo's dance. I admire him alot. You should watch the interviews with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:11 am 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

Tenshi - i love your icon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:34 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Thank you :p She's an RP character of mine-- Aiko Matsunaga becomes Yumimaru. ^_^

On topic, I wonder if Ziyi Zhang ever saw or knows of Sagi Musume...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:11 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

did you make that avatar tenshi? i love it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:30 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

yar, I did, thanks ^_^ Using some samples from one of DAZ's programs. I don't have any of their stuff; rather I just picture edited.

Post subject: Re: Snow dance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:05 pm 
Furisode Shinzo
Furisode Shinzo

Fav. Maiko: Fumino,Sayaka,Ayano,Toshiteru
Fav. Geiko: Umeshizu,Mamehana,Mamechiho
Fav. Motif: asa, nami
Geimyo: 孔雀水 Kujakumizu
If we take a legend Yuki ona+last section of Sagimusume+hollywood= dance of sayuri :bunbun: for me its....hollywood-like. I cant say if its beautiful or not...its not a maiko dance...she runs like a mad rabies woman :ohno:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:46 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: can´t decide
Fav. Geiko: can´t decide either......
Fav. Motif: shinshi,dragon,peony
Sayaka wrote:
Kotone wrote:

And I thought I was the only one who thought that.  Not only did I find the dance out of place, I found absolutely nothing graceful about it.  I know someone is going to shoot me, but when Sayuri came out and started doing what some may call a "dance", I thought she looked like a whore who had just been chased through the snow by a pack of rabid wolves.

(OK, Sayaka will start being nice, now.)

haha you are too polite...for me it looked like pole dance or any other thing related to that "kind of dances"

And Yuna-chan,as far as i can remmember,this dance in the book was performed by Mameha and it was about a woman who dies on depression,in the snow,after finding out her husband had an affair in the emperor´s court... :?

Search for:
Jump to: