My Miyako Odori Experience

Sparrow
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

My Miyako Odori Experience

Post by Sparrow » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:44 am

So, yesterday I went to Kyoto to see a Miyako Odori performance. I have never been very into the geisha side of the forum but, as a lover of all manner of traditional Japanese culture, I would be remiss if I didn't go see this while living in the Kansai area. I have to say, it was an amazing experience! I was al little late ordering my ticket so I had to get the more expensive ticket if I wanted to go on a weekend. The expensive ticket was for a ticket on the first floor, tea service before the show and the wagashi plate as a souvenir. I don't know why but tea has always made my stomach hurt so my plan going in was not to take the tea...that kind of ended up not being an option. lol

So, when it was my turn to go and sit down in the room, I was told to sit in any open seat. I saw there was an open seat directly in front of the geiko so I thought I'd sit there because it had the best view. An assistant dropped off the wagashi and put down tea bowls in front of all the people to my left. I didn't think much of it since I sat down while she was handing them out. About a minute later, the geiko started making a bowl and it was so cool to watch. Then one of the maiko took the bowl and put it down right in front of me! I was freaking out inside because I can't just say no to tea made by the geiko-san!! So I decided that--for the experience!--I would suck it up and graciously accept the tea. I bowed and did all the stuff I know you're supposed to do (which isn't much. Basically just the bowl turning) and after I finished and the maiko took back the bowl, I met eyes with the geiko. I smiled and she gave me a small smile back! :love: :dead:

I left pretty soon after, checked out the little exhibit upstairs with the original poster artwork and the chorus hikizuri from previous years and then took my seat. I have to say, the dancing was absolutely stunning, I'm not even sure what to say about it. I was very struck by how much the floor resonated with the foot stomping moves and how they didn't do a single fan 'toss' technique (they didn't need to). Having the music performed live at the same time added a completely new dimension to it. I especially loved the firefly dance--it had this amazing lightness. Many of the performances had very dark or sad themes so the simple beauty of this dance really stood out to me.

I'm so happy that I went and it was 100% worth the money and the stomachache :sword: :sword: After checking out the program, it seems that the name of the geiko who made my tea is Katsutomo (佳つ智)

Gikuyu
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Re: My Miyako Odori Experience

Post by Gikuyu » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:18 am

Lucky you! :sword:

I hope your stomach didn't end up hurting too much ^^

Is it also true that you weren't allowed tk take pics in the exibitionarea? I heard it from a few people who went aswell, that the whole thing was 100% no photos allowed :ohmy:

Sparrow
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Re: My Miyako Odori Experience

Post by Sparrow » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:55 am

Honestly, it didn't hurt nearly as much as it could have, maybe my positive emotions tied to the experience helped somewhat (or maybe this sensitivity is slowly going away)?

Yeah, strict no pictures allowed. I did take some pictures of some things outside like the maiko comics on the window and my souvenir plate but my internet at home is a little spotty. On Monday I'll upload them from school. :wink: