Lyrics to my test dance Shiokumi

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Lyrics to my test dance Shiokumi

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:34 pm

aethyreal

This summer, I again made the trip to Japan to learn a classical dance from my teacher in Tokyo. (I have teachers here in Hawaii too but... It's kind of a long story.) Last time I learned Fuji Musume, and this time I started learning Shiokumi. Shiokumi is one of the natori (professional name) test dances for the Hanayagi school so I'm pretty excited about it but I'd love to know more... I have found some resources about the story (here and here) and I've found the lyrics in Japanese here. However, I have a hard time with regular Japanese and this poetic language is way beyond me. Can anyone give me a rough translation?

(I've added notes on when I think the dance kōdōgu (props) change...)

松一木かわらぬ色のしるしとて うつし絵島の浦風に

buckets
ゆ かしき つてをしら波の よする渚に世をおくる如何にこの身が海士じゃと云うて 辛気しんきに袖濡れていつか嬉しき逢瀬もと 君には誰かつげのくしさし来る潮を汲もうよ汲み別けて 見れば月こそ桶にあり是にも月の入りたるや月は一つ 影は二つ三つ見られつも雲の上此処は鳴尾の松影に 月を荷うて

sensu
見渡せば面白や なれても須磨の夕まぐれ漁る船のやつしつし 波をけたてて友呼び交わす浜千鳥の散りやちりちり 散りやちりちり
ちりちりぱっと 鹽屋の煙さえ立名いとわで 三年はこごに 須磨の浦わの松の雪平立ち帰りこば我も小陰にいざ立ちよりて 礒馴松のなつかしや遺物こそ 今は仇なれ見初めてそめて

empty hands
逢うた其の時や つい転び寝の帯も解いでそれなりに二人が裾へ狩衣を 掛けてぞ頼む睦言に

tenugui
可愛がらすの何じややら 泣いて別りよか笑うて待つとか待たば こんとの約束を忘るる暇はないわいなそれから深う云かわしまの 水も漏らさぬ中々は

sandan kasa
濡れによる身は傘さして御座んせ 人目せきがさ何時あうがさとほんに指折り其の日からかさ まつに長柄の辛気らしそれそれ気を紅葉傘 白張りの殿子に操たてがさの 相合傘の末かけて誓文真実つまおりがさと云われたら 思いも開く花傘しおらしや

sensu
いとま申して帰る波の音の須磨の浦かけて 村雨と聞きしも今朝見れば松風ばかりや残るらん松風の松風の 噂は世々に残るらん

aethyreal
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Re: Lyrics to my test dance Shiokumi

Post by aethyreal » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:07 pm

I'd still love if anyone wanted to translate for me :oops: Not sure if it will help but here's the information on this dance available on http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/ka ... 16_15.html

Shiokumi / 汐汲
—Scooping Up Seawater—

This dance was first performed in 1811 as part of a seven part hengemono (series of dances with the same actor) featuring Bando Mitsugoro III (1775 - 1831). Although it is now performed as pure Nagauta, when it was first performed it was a kake-ai featuring a Nagauta ensemble and a narrative Tokiwazu ensemble. It is based on the famous Noh play "Matsukaze" which is the story of two fisher girl sisters that are the lovers of the court aristocrat Ariwara no Yukihira when he was exiled to Suma. When he returned to the capital, he promised he would send for them (although he never did) and left behind his court robe and court cap and a poem as keepsakes. The Noh play shows the ghosts of the two sisters still longing for Yukihira. 

The kabuki dance doesn't tell this actual story and it is not even clear that this is Matsukaze. But it uses the image of the humble fisher woman in court robe and court cap scooping up seawater as a symbol of love. At one point the lyrics compare the moon reflected in the two buckets to Yukihira reflected in the love of the two sisters. In pure kabuki style, the dance ends with a lively section with a sangai-gasa (three tiered parasol) while the lyrics use puns on parasols and umbrellas to describe love.