Teru - Gion - ? [Showa]

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Teru - Gion - ? [Showa]

Post by IG Team » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:30 am

GoldenPhoenix:

Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get your help. I found this vintage postcard on ebay and I *think* this maiko may be wearing my antique darari. Unfortunately I can't see her crest, but I'd love to find out who she is if its possible.

Here's the maiko:

And here's the darari:
Dragon Scale Darari by Kurokami, on Flickr

Since the vintage image is hand coloured, the colours in the photo may not match her actual outfit - so I'm going strictly by the pattern on the obi. Even the short tail end of the darari matches mine. I just wish I could see the crest!

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: Teru - Gion - ? [Retired]

Post by IG Team » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:31 am

Jaki-san:

Her name's Teru, I've got these two postcards of her, unfortunately not an obi shot, perhaps someone else on Flickr has the back view?

One
Two

*Edit:

Here she is again:
Teru with different mon to that of your obi, but rules were more relaxed back then I guess..

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: Teru - Gion - ? [Retired]

Post by IG Team » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:32 am

GoldenPhoenix:

Thanks Jaki-san! I think that black and white photo is more helpful than it seems. I can see the tonal changes in the obi a little better in black and white, and I don't believe the two obi match. In the photo, the obi has seigaiha that are outlined in a darker tone, a detail that doesn't appear on my obi. Also, in the coloured photo you linked, the seigaiha doesn't change direction at Teru's front like it does on my obi. Still, the two obi are very similar so that's quite informative too. I originally had my doubts that my antique darari was a maiko's. Now that I see a maiko wearing one so similar (shortened tail included), I realize it's possible it was a maiko's. Given the age of the obi (and the fact that photographs were not as common then as they are now), I've always considered it a pretty much astronomical long shot that I'd ever find it being worn, but when I found one so similar, you can image I was very excited. :)

All of that aside, it's great to know Teru's name! I'm always amazed when people are able to identify maiko and geiko from so long ago.

EDIT: On an even closer inspection, I think that the obi that Teru is wearing is almost an inverted version of mine. On my obi the lighter coloured waves are always at the centre of the obi, while on Teru's obi, the lighter coloured waves are always at the side of the obi.