Financially Supporting the Vanishing Willows and Flowers

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Financially Supporting the Vanishing Willows and Flowers

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:34 pm

kaihime:

So my question necessitates the disclosure of some personal information that's a little obnoxious, so I apologize in advance.

My husband and I are finally come to the point in our lives where we are making financial decisions that DON'T involve making rent or wondering if we'll ever retire ;) We live in downtown Manhattan, so I never thought it could be possible, but now I'm looking out how best to give some of it away! (I don't mean to sound self-aggrandizing - I honestly would prefer to give some of it away rather than spend it on junk :coy: )

Part of our budget is dedicated to charitable giving (the ASPCA, Heifer International, and Medicins San Frontieres, if anyone's interested), but we also have money set aside for arts patronage. As lovely as the ballet and the opera and the Metropolitan Museum are, I was wondering about what, if any, patronage comes into the Kyoto hanamachi from outside Japan? As gaijin, are we resigned to buying tickets to odori and slapping together an ozashiki though our hotel concierge?

Obviously, these levels of patronage are just fine when we are visiting Japan, but I wondered if contributions or sponsorships similar to the memberships and sponsorship levels offered at art museums and ballet companies were something the modern okiya has dabbled in?

Alternatively, should I instead be focusing on giving to the Japan Society etc here stateside? I would prefer to support the ladies we love so dearly more directly, but wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: Financially Supporting the Vanishing Willows and Flowers

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:35 pm

utsusemi:

I am afraid that is difficult. Geisha do belong to an okiya or work individually. So whom to give this money ? It would help one person or a small group but not the karyukai in general. The geisha world depends on regular customers. And coming from someone they do not know personally will probably not be accepted.
Fukushima is out of breaking news, but still people are suffering from it. It has ruined so many. Why not giving the money there ? It would help so much.
But these are my personal thoughts. Maybe other members who know the world of geisha more deeply have better ideas.
Edit: The Kaburenjo is the theater where maiko and geisha from time to time perform. Theaters are notorious for their money troubles. Maybe that is an option. :]

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:40 pm

kaihime:

utsusemi - Thank you for your considerate reply! Its very true that the aftermath of disasters like Fukushima lasts long after it has drifted from the public consciousness. A great idea.

While charitable giving is always top of our list, we are also considering arts patronage, which was why I brought up the correlation of contribution-based memberships to Western institutions. Here, a membership to say, the Metropolitan Museum of Art works like a yearly "subscription" - its a recurring donation, there's a party or two a year, that you can attend depending on your sponsorship level, no price for admission to the museum or special exhibitions, etc.
The "perks" are kind of like the stuff PBS gives you for a donation - a token "thank you," but really, your money is going towards supporting the institution, not paying for the gift.

Obviously, this is very different than the "traditional" system used in hanamachi, but considering difficult financial times (And the fact that Japan loves its modern technology!) I wondered if maybe there was a tech-savvy okiya or ochaya out there that has toyed with other means of creating revenue, in particular from their international fans!

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:50 pm

Dr.B:

If you are looking to support Kyoto geisha then you naed to donate to the Okini Ziden Its is an organization the funds the geisha districts of Kyoto. I haven't bean able to fined it on line yet as I think I am spelling it wrong. Peter Macintosh might have all the information on this group. I will however keep looking for ther website

The Ookino Zainden Group of Kyoto. You will nead to translate the page.
http://www.ookinizaidan.com

More information of the group in english.
http://books.google.com/books?id=bPDkda ... wa&f=false

If you are interested in supporting geisha out side of major city's then shimoda has a I believe local government funded organization that you might consider looking in to donating to.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... eisha.html