Question about maiko and informal wear (geta)

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Question about maiko and informal wear (geta)

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:06 pm

risingdreamer:

I'd like to know if a maiko would wear geta off the clock, so to speak. I tried to do my research, and I'm not exactly sure if it's possible. And which type of shoe she'd wear informaly.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: Question about maiko and informal wear (geta)

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:07 pm

Jaydencats:

I know that maiko usually wear kimono off the clock, because they are used to it, they want to practice, and it helps to create the illusion that geisha are always elegant and well-dressed. You see few pictures of geisha with their hair down because, if you saw one with her hair down and in normal Western clothes, you probably wouldn't recognize her. She wouldn't want you to.

I'd assume that geisha would be more interested in going to matsuri than the average Japanese citizen, and at matsuri, plenty of people wear geta. Geta is usually only worn with yukata (or a dressed-down komon), and that's informal everyday wear. So if you see a geiko or maiko in yukata and geta, then they would just be being relaxing as a normal, everyday girl.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

risingdreamer:

So under everyday circustances, she'd wear yukata (in the summer) or a dressed down komon and geta, right? If she had to run errands or something, maybe she'd wear a "nicer" komon and okobo? Or maybe zori?

I'm sorry, I'm good at getting things wrong.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Gikuyu:

They only wear okobo with hiki and for short distances ;)
During the day they mostly wear zori, barely have seen them wearing geta

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:08 pm

Keiha:

I've never seen a maiko in geta, come to think of it. I think it's far too casual, and maiko supposedly only get 2 day off a month? so there really is no down time for just lounging around in yukata. Even when wearing yukata, maiko are dressed more formally than a typical Japanese, with nagoya obi and zōri and tabi always.

Geiko wear geta sometimes for formal occasions, usually senryou geta, but I've seen the regular 2-teeth kind as well. Here I think it is more about aesthetic, giving off that old world vibe, than casualty. Plus, senryou geta are supposed to be lucky!

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:09 pm

Kyouka:

Here is Mamesome in Komon and geta. So maiko actually can wear geta with komon, not only with yukata
http://geisha-kai.tumblr.com/post/53364234250
She is also taking part at a formal event. It's the ceremony one day after the odori.

And geta on a misedashi. Ok, they are geta especially for rain, but if geta were not allowed for maiko or to informal they also could have used rain zori with plastic cover
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mboogiedown/2610922690

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:09 pm

Gikuyu:

The type of geta she wears are more formal type of geta and not the casual ones....

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:05 am

Umieko:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feliks/2719353487/

I have been researching Maiko/Minarai's yukata, the blue and white pretty ones. I came across the above picture.
This is the only time I have seen this before, is it normal?
Usually the zouri are coordinated with the obi a little better... Is she going to take a bath?
Input appreciated ^^

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:06 am

hibana:

TL,DR ahead! :coy: The maiko is properly dressed; her coordination is really classic. :]

I have read that some okiya commission aizome yukata fabric with their crest or another design, to be worn by members of that household.

Dance schools often do something similar. Silk kimono are not practical for long dance lessons. Yukata are easy to clean and not damaged by repeated exposure to perspiration. Aizome is antibacterial and anti-odor as well.

Pontocho ladies often wear the yukata of their dance school- new fabric is commissioned by the school every year. I think the ones worn by Gion ladies at Miyabi-kai must be from their school or maybe the kenban?