:eng Fundamentals of Japanese Dance by Hanayagi Chiyo

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

:eng Fundamentals of Japanese Dance by Hanayagi Chiyo

Post by shira » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:49 pm

NAME: kailin98

Fundamentals of Japanese Dance - Kabuki Dance
aka Nihonbuyo no Kiso by Hanayagi Chiyo, translated by Leonard Pronko & Tomono Takao
:eng
ISBN: 978-4-87601-845-1

For anyone interested in Nihon Buyo and Kabuki dance, this is the must-have book. All the basic steps are explained with text and pictures for each movement, and covers both male and female dances.

The book starts off with the introduction of the Butai (dance stage) and evolution of Nihon Buyo, followed by fundamentals of etiqueete, sitting, bowing and standing. Next she goes into details of the head movements, shoulder and chests, facial expressions and other upper body movements. Then comes the explaination on movement of the lower body, walking, turning, the slide step and stamping. Lastly, the use of props like fan, tenugui, umbrellas and others are explained, all with plenty of pictures that will guide even the most basic dancer. She has also included dance choreography illustration for each step, so a dancer will be able to understand the moves just by looking at the pictorial choreography.

In all, this is an excellent book, but is extremely difficult to find. RRP is 7000yen, and is worth every single cent if you are into the art of Nihon Buyo. I believe it is available from Amazon Japan but have not tried buying it from there. Instead, I managed to get a copy at Junkudo bookshop in Kyoto. It has the most selection of English book in Kyoto, so if you happen to be there give it a go. It is located in the Kyoto BAL building along Kawaramachi Dori. When I was there, the book I got was the only copy they had, so I recommend calling them in advance just to make sure it is in stock or that you place a reservation.

Recommended:
Students or people interested in Nihon Buyo, Japanese cultural libraries, people who have an interest in Kabuki

Not recommended:
People who are not interested in Nihon Buyo and Kabuki, people looking for full chereography of completed dance pieces

Last edited by kailin98 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: :eng Fundamentals of Japanese Dance by Hanayagi Chiyo

Post by shira » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:49 pm

NAME: aethyreal

OMG, I WANT! I actually study Hanayagi Ryu and I've seen the Japanese language version of this. I couldn't justify dropping $70 just for the pictures (My Japanese is very basic). For the English translation though, that's another story, but... only Amazon Japan and Kinokuniya has it online :cry: Don't suppose I could pay you to buy and ship it to me?

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:50 pm

NAME: kailin98

Hi aethyreal!

Good to meet someone else who also did Hanayagi-ryu. Where is your teacher based in and how long have you been dancing? Unfortunately I am not based in Kyoto but in Perth, and I've been tracking this book down for more than a year. I can't even find it on amazon.co.jp anymore but if you have the link to it please feel free to post it so everyone interested can have a copy =D

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:51 pm

NAME: aethyreal

Alright! I finally got a copy from Kinokuniya! I was lucky enough that I as going to visit Seattle, so they transferred it from Los Angeles to Seattle and honored the online price for me :) Sounded like it would have been even more expensive if they had had to order a new copy from Japan. It still worked out to be over $100 in the end but I look at it as being like buying a text book in college. Looks like there should still be one more copy in NY if anyone else in the US wants to try for it. Or you can try Amazon JP.

I agree with kailin98 that this book is not for people looking for a self-study book. The book is not so much about fundamentals as it is about the many subtle variations of fundamental moves and postures. For example, she goes over things like 8 different three-part head movements (mitsuburi/sandangime) with 4 timing variations, 12 different walking patterns, and 21 different hand positions, many of which depend on the sex, age, and status of the character being portrayed. These variations really only make sense in the context of learning (or possibly watching, if you are a really dedicated fan) complete nihon buyo dances.

kailin98 - I started out with an informal volunteer group in Minneapolis, MN for a few years. Then, I studied Hanayagi for a year in Kagoshima, Japan, and I have been studying in Honolulu, Hawaii for the last two years:) What about you?