Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:45 am

NAME: RedDelilah

Old Kyoto
Revised and Updated edition
Diane Durston
ISBN:978-4-7700-2994-2
Amazon.com

Front cover of book.

I found a copy of the charming little book through my local library and was pleasantly surprised by the read. The author describes numerous shops, inns, temples and teahouses located through out the different sections of Kyoto. What I found most fascinating was that many of the places she has listed here are shops that have been in business for a hundred years or more. The revised edition that I read was put out in 2005 so some of these places may not be in existence anymore. What I found particularly helpful as well is that she gives the addresses in both Romanji and Katakana, telephone number, whether or not English is spoken, general prices, when the places are open and if they accept major credit cards or not. She also gives a nice short history of Kyoto in the front of the book. There are many lovely pictures as well of the shops and owners all in black and white as many of them were taken around the time the book was first published in 1986. She even has a nice little memorial section for the shop owner of a bucket store that passed away before the book was revised. Overall this is a fascinating little read.

Recommended for:
People who want to learn about old style Kyoto merchants and the items they sell.
Someone wanting to take a trip to Kyoto and find shops and inns off the beaten path.
For someone looking for a quick read about traditional Kyoto businesses.

Not recommended for:
Someone that has a specific interest in Geisha culture although the book makes light mention of it.
For someone wanting to visit Kyoto to see the modern aspects of the city. This book is all about history.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: :eng Old Kyoto by Diane Durston

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:45 am

NAME: Julie Podstolski

I have a copy of "Old Kyoto" on my bookshelf. I have found it useful and have followed her idea for walks. It is a book worth looking at if you are going to Kyoto as you do learn about places/history you might not find out about otherwise. I recommend.