Maiko-san

Pink Box: Inside Japan's Sex Clubs

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:37 am

NAME: matsukaze

CAUTION: Naughty Stuff Ahead

Pink Box: Inside Japan's Sex Clubs by Joan Sinclair
ISBN-10: 0810992590
Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Box-Inside-J ... 872&sr=1-1

This photo essay had been on the top of my reading list ever since I saw it for sale about 2 years ago. After finally getting it as a birthday present, I was not disappointed.

The book begins with a nice introduction that gives a general background on the industry, and from then on it's photographs that range from the shocking, to the lewd, to the thought provoking, and beyond. All pictures are accompanied with the location and an explanation of what we are seeing, so you are never left in the dark (although some of the ladies certainly are :snooty )

You will see and learn about the extent of roleplaying fantasies, host & hostess clubs, gel baths, "health", awa odori, fera, and more. There is a stunning array of options for the Japanese male with a fetish or fantasy, no matter how specific; he can find what he's looking for, if he's willing to pay the price.

The book mentions geisha, and I thought this was really interesting: "Japan has a long tradition of compensated companionship. Many modern-day hostess practices are rooted in the geisha tradition." This is so true. In fact, there is a red-light district in Kyoto right next to Gion Kobu, not even 1 block away. It makes you think, not about whether geisha are prostitutes, but about paid companionship.

I didn't learn anything I didn't already know about sex hotels or soap lands or pink salons, but I had never seen any actual IMAGES of these places before, not including host clubs (when in Japan, right? :kitti: ). As a female and as a gaijin, I would never gain entry, but Ms. Sinclair did. I think she treated and photographed her subjects with enormous sensitivity; they may be nude or in unusual positions, but there is a feeling that these are portraits that almost honor them, rather than those that degrade them in other reports. These are extremely compelling images.

The first quote in the book is, "I think men are universally perverted; it's just that in Japan, we do something about it." Read this book, and you will begin to understand just how true that statement is.

Recommended:
-For people with even a passing interest in the Japanese sex industry
-For people who want to see something unusual
-For one hell of a coffee table book

Not Recommended:
-For prudes
-For those looking for extensive research or writing

Last edited by matsukaze on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: Pink Box: Inside Japan's Sex Clubs

NAME: Peccantis

*sigh*

Yet another reason to hate my genes for making me a woman.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: Kikuyo

I really want to read this, but I would feel really embarrassed to ask for it as a gift. I was just about to say "at my library", lol, but I don't think they're allowed to lend this kind of stuff, and I don't even want to ask :oops: . I'll have to go buy it or something. I became really interested in the sex club scene after reading a book about a girl who runs away in Japan and ends up working in various sex clubs (I forget the name, sorry. If anyone really wants to know the title I can look it up). It was fiction, but very captivating.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:38 am

NAME: moonblossom

Is the book you're referring to called Lost Girls and Love Hotels? I really enjoyed it.

I'd like to read this book too - I find the sex trade in general fascinating.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:38 am

NAME: Kikuyo

Were you asking me, moonblossom? I just checked and the book is called Country of Origin.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:39 am

NAME: Iyolin

Pink Samurai also talks a fair bit about that side of things. I found it in the Women's Studies section of my local library. If there's a university library near you, they might have a different selection, as well.

And for a woman's take, Sheridan Prasso looks at the sex trade in Asia in general in The Asian Mystique.

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. - Joseph Chilton Pearce

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:39 am

NAME: RedDelilah

Wow, this book looks really fascinating! I wonder if I could order it through a regular book store like Barn's and Noble or some such place?

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:40 am

NAME: Julie Podstolski

I owned "Pink Box" for a while but I couldn't put it on my bookshelf as I thought my daughters would be so embarrassed. So I hid it away. But I hated the idea of having it hidden in the top of the wardrobe (where it was) so in the end I chucked it out! Crazy eh. But I couldn't think of anyone to give it to or what to do with it.
It sure was interesting though!!!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: Lumikettu

This sounds very interesting! hmmh.. I could even ask it for a present... One of my male friends once gave me a book about orgasm (I was dating then). I'm generally interested about this matter. And it'll look good in my shelve next to my Erotic Photography (Historical picture book). :coy: They're good reference material for drawing :lol:

The Sewing Blog: http://lumikettusewing.blogspot.fi/

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: Onanako

i work in a national retail bookstore and this book is always been ready on the shelf. it sits in our photo section. and it has a weird pink plastic cover. (like that of the pink jelly sandals)

there's also another book out called oriental sex on the exact same subject (i own) and it travels to other countries then just japan. one comment (japanese girls cost more in japan, but korean girls and other 'imported' girls cost less in japan)

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:41 am

NAME: Iyolin

Onanako, can you provide a link to the book on Amazon.com or an ISBN or something? That sounds interesting, and my amazon search only came up with a book from 1972 that is out of print.

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. - Joseph Chilton Pearce

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:41 am

NAME: owl

I will have to say I am a bit interested in this book, mainly because during my stay in Japan my boyfriend and I saw this type of stuff all over the place. Hostgirls and especially Host Boys..were EVERY WHERE on the streets. Host Boys especially, would run nice looking girls down and be like " heh babeh..how about blah blah blah" It was most crazy when we got lost a few times and ended up..lets just say " on the wrong street". I saw quite a few young girls being led away by old business men. :gah:
It was shocking to me especially as a woman, but really I just want to know more on the " Why the heck are you doing this?" side of things.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:42 am

NAME: Lovley_Yuko

:eek:

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:42 am

NAME: Kunko

Wow, this book looks kinda excellent and very interesting to have a look into this sort of thing, when you aren't getting handed info on how to work there :cry:

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:43 am

NAME: Onanako

FOUND IT!!!
It's called Orientalia

Amazon link

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: Lumikettu

Hiii! Both of these books are available in finnish bookstores! xD

The Sewing Blog: http://lumikettusewing.blogspot.fi/

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: Isami Kondo

"Not Recommended:
-For prudes"

It´s not a matter of being prude or not...being prude is the most commom excuse the pron industry gives to the ones who oppose the sex-trade.It is clear when you belong to a Third World country,that suplies men with women and girls with human traffic.This is a problem conserning women´s human rights not morality or prudness.Imagine how many latin,tai,chinese,etc women have their lives destroyed for proving men this fun they think it´s their right!

I feel deeply depressed and insulted with such books taht suggests sex-trade/women sexual exploitation is normal and acceptable.We women should be more critical in this matter instead of trying to find excuses to justify it.No one of us is a commodity,no mather how many fake smiles we see on those girls faces.