Mens hairstyling?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Mens hairstyling?

Post by IG Team » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:47 pm

NightwindKing

lol I know this is probably a vain and strange question to ask but...does anyone know anything about sengoku/edo era mens hairstyling? I mean, not what they looked like, but how to do them?

I'm not about to shave the top of my head and such, but in doing the topknot I've become...confused? frustrated? As to how it's done properly. I can never get my hair to stay in a nice clean-looking topknot. Likewise, in films and books I frequently see/hear about using hot water and a comb to put-up stray neck hairs, as men didn't really use clips in the back.

Any ideas? Reference sites I could check? I searched here but didn't really find anything...if I'm missing something or this is the wrong place for this thread let me know.

Thanks!

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: Mens hairstyling?

Post by IG Team » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:47 pm

owl

When styled I believe they used some sort of hair oil and a hot iron. Maybe you could try this using hair pomade after straightening your hair with a flat iron?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:48 pm

yanagi

I suspect the glossy, neat finish you see in the movies is probably done with whatever product they use to do formal geisha hairstyles as well.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:48 pm

stepan_san
yanagi wrote:I suspect the glossy, neat finish you see in the movies is probably done with whatever product they use to do formal geisha hairstyles as well.
I agree with Yanagi in this. Probably they use the same way the use for women's hair styles.
Also what I've notices it that the shorter, finer hair that grow around the hair-line in the back are usually cut short so that they use only the long firm hair to form the hair style.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:49 pm

owl

Are you using a very fine toothed comb?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

NightwindKing

Ah, hadnt thought of oils...guess I assumed that was too modern.

Yes, using a fine-toothed comb.

A yes, flat-ironing before putting-up.
I guess I can try hairspray...

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

owl

Hairspray may end up giving you crunchy hair. I think pomade or possibly hair smoothing serum would work best for you as it will keep the hair flexible but in place at the same time.