San-san-kudo: wedding ceremony

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

San-san-kudo: wedding ceremony

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:51 pm

Tsukiyo

It's hard to find information about the san-san-kudo ceremony...
I only know that the groom and the bride drink sake in three cups.
Could someone explain precisely the process? I would like to do it at my own wedding...thank you! :content:

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: San-san-kudo: wedding ceremony

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:52 pm

Hoshi

This website gives a pretty broad description of the process, though it can be a little hard to follow. I tried searching for it on Wikipedia, but I had no luck. Here's what the aforementioned website said:

Quote:
There is a ceremony called "San-San-Kudo" during the marriage ceremony. First of all, a groom and a bride pretend to pour sake into a cup in which there are 3 tiers of cups then they do actually pour sake into each cup and drink it at each of the 3 steps. This series of action will be done for each of the three cups. That is why this ceremony is called "San-San-Kudo (three-three-nine times). This custom was also brought to Japan from China. As for the row of numbers 3,3,9, 3 is a happy number and it shows "heaven・earth and humanity." as well. Therefore 9, which equals 3 times 3 is said to be the happiest number. Officially, San-san-kudo shall be done in front of the sanctuary of a shrine. However, it becomes rather common to set up a temporary sanctuary in a hotel so that they can proceed with the marriage ceremony and wedding reception in a rational order.

Good luck learning more!

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:53 pm

Kotone

What you MAY want to try, is go on like... yahoo.com, google.com, wikipedia.com, etc. and try typing in Japanese Wedding Ceremony or Shinto Wedding Ceremony. Because I vaguely remember finding something about the san-san-kudo part of the ceremony while looking up Traditional Japanese Weddings... because I want to have one!!!!! And actually probably will :D. Does anyone else share this dream??? Lol! Plus I think my boyfriend would look hot in hakama pants!! :P :P :P

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:55 pm

Kotone

http://youtube.com/watch?v=89AJKZz4Nkg& ... %20wedding
san-san-kudo!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cj-xPIwMbIM&search=geisha
Another video of a wedding ceremony, I love this one...

Full ceremony from San-san-kudo.. to the reception...

Ok, now I have a question about the Shinto Wedding, I keep seeing "go betweens", that sit behind the bride and groom. Are they similar to the maid of honor and the best man in a christian ceremony? Could they be? Could it be only one person? What EXACTLY does a "go between" do?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:56 pm

kugepoet

The term "go-between" should give you a big clue.

http://japanese.about.com/library/weekly/aa080999.htm

Back in the days of arranged marriages, a nadoko (go-between) represented the interests of the families involved and would arrange an interview between the prospective bride and groom. Nowadays, their presence is more ceremonial, not unlike that of best man/maid of honor, or maybe more like a god-parent at a christening.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:56 pm

Kotone

kugepoet wrote:
The term "go-between" should give you a big clue.

http://japanese.about.com/library/weekly/aa080999.htm

Back in the days of arranged marriages, a nadoko (go-between) represented the interests of the families involved and would arrange an interview between the prospective bride and groom. Nowadays, their presence is more ceremonial, not unlike that of best man/maid of honor, or maybe more like a god-parent at a christening.

Ok, so, lets say if you wanted to use the person/people who introduced you, as this "go-between", that would be possible?
Because if this position has to be filled, if he and I decide to do that, we could use my best friend, who did introduce us, and when he and I are being stupid (fighting) she's kind of the "go-to person" to resolve it.