ID: Chrysanthemum, Spring Flower

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

ID: Chrysanthemum, Spring Flower

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:48 am

aethyreal

Normally I don't sweat the seasonality of my motifs here in Hawaii as long as I have the correct fabric weight. However, I'm planning on taking more dance lessons in Tokyo over winter break and I figure I should double check some of my motifs since I'll be around people who might know the difference :)

1) ID: some kind of spring flower - lily (star-of-bethlahem), tulip, and narcissus are all in the running

2) ID: chrysanthemum

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: ID: Chrysanthemum, Spring Flower

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:50 am

Aoi

I think the second one really could be a chrysanthemum, it looks a lot like one. The first one I'm not so sure about. I first thought of Chinese bellflower, but neither the flower with six petals nor the leaves seem to match it.

edit: the long leaves made me think of narcissus, but the center of the flowers doesn't seem to match it either :D

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:50 am

Tsubame

could the first one be a stylized lily?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:51 am

Aoi
Tsubame wrote:could the first one be a stylized lily?
It definitely could be a lily, now that I look at it :D Both the petals and the leaves match. I feel a little stupid now that I didn't think of lilies, especially when I like them a lot... :D

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:51 am

moonblossom

My gut instinct for the first one was also lily, if that helps. :)

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:52 am

aethyreal

Hmmm...lilies would be mid to late summer and chrysanthemum would be late fall? They're both the same weight/fabric though so the white one is way too heavy for summer...

Also, I know the advice for motifs is that early is ok but how early are we talking? Could I wear a summer motif in March? How about ume in December? Could I extend the chrysanthemum one into December since the background looks like snow?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:52 am

utsusemi

To me the flowers on the first obi look like lilies as well, but the leaves do not match, they are too long. With lilies the leaves are attached to the stem. Here it looks like the leaves are coming from the ground as it does with narcissus. And the flowerbud looks more like that of a narcissus, too.
The chrysanthemum could be worn until end of November, but that is my opinion.

Edit: After thinking it over, they look like tulips. There are variations with pointed petals.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:53 am

Chiisana Hato

I'm voting for lilly and mum (the spider variety) as well.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

muhvi

I am going to agree with utsusemi. The first one is not lily because of the leaves and how they are attached. I would also guess the flower could be either tulip or narcissus, so spring obi in either way.

The second one is kiku in my opinion.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

aethyreal

Thank you all for your help!! When looking at lilies, I came across a variety called star-of-Bethlehem that could be a candidate as well. Since regular lilies are summer and this is not a summer obi, I think I'll call it a spring flower (star-of-Bethlehem, narcissus, and tulip are all spring) :)

Looks like I need to go on the hunt for a casual winter or all season obi!

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:54 am

Peccantis

Star-of-Bethlehem has multiple flowers/buds on one stem and 6 petals though. My first thought was Day Lily (Hemerocallis) but it has the multiple flower thing too and the petal count is wrong (should be 6). The petal count on the flower here is 7, which does not fit Liliaceae which tend to have 6 petals or failing that, a number divisible by three. The issue is the same with many Amaryllidaceae as well. So it fails to be accurate for any Tulipa or Narcissus as well.

It certainly has a distinctly Tulip/Day Lily/Narcissus kind of habitus going on but my final guess would be "whoever painted this was not paying very close attention to their reference" and by extension, "imaginary flower". Its seasonality would be spring or summer since it resembles spring and/or summer plants.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:54 am

aethyreal

Peccantis - Yes, I figure that if IGers have such a hard time pinning it down then it probably is not a close representation of any particular flower :) Since it seems to give a "spring" vibe to most people, that's what I'm going with (although I have no problem wearing it out-of-season here in Hawaii!)