ID: Mallet, Sake Barrels, Woven Basket, Genji Guruma, Measuring Cups

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

ID: Mallet, Sake Barrels, Woven Basket, Genji Guruma, Measuring Cups

Post by IG Team » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:44 am

Koharu

So there is a Kimono I bought at the Tenjin-san flea market when I was in Kyoto two years ago. I somehow fell in love with it and although I had no clue what I had in front of me, I bought it on the spot (I'm still angry with myself that I didn't ask the seller about it :evil: ). And now, with the summer festival of my institute coming up, this piece has come to my mind again and I would really like to wear it for the first time, but.... I still have no clue what it is that I bought. I tried searching the forum but I'm at my wits end. Help.

The Kimono is made of synthetic and it's unlined, so my assumption is that it is a dance Kimono, maybe like the ones worn by the participants of a big summer festival procession like the Gion matsuri.

So here are my questions:
1. It is a dance Kimono, right?
2. What are the patterns and what do those blue letters mean? (The only useful information that I found in the forum which might somehow be useful is that the wheels somehow resemble the Genji guruma.)
3. Is it suitable for a summer festival with Hanhaba and stuff? To which occasions would you usually wear it? Is it rather formal or unformal?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: ID: Odori

Post by IG Team » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:45 am

Kokoro

I think we have:
mallet (2nd picture, buttom; symbol of Daikoku, one of the seven gods of good fortune)
sake barrels (2nd picture, upper middle)
woven basket (3rd, lower right)

On blue background:
wheel (genji guruma)
measures (masu – squared measuring cups; symbol for good luck: could be read as increasing, prosper)

I would say it´s an odori kimono. Maybe the theme has to do with a (shrine) festival, good luck for merchants or something like this.