Kimono and obi repair: Embroidery materials

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Kimono and obi repair: Embroidery materials

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:39 am

maikofan28

Hi
I've been searching for this info in the forums and can't find the name for it but I wanted to know what the name for the little gold... ribbon(???) used in the embroidery is and if anybody knows where I can get some of it so that I can redo the embroidery of a furisode I bought in this auction for reselling.

I bought it, I thought oh wow its amazing and like new, what a good auction find. Then I looked closely and, sure, it is really hard to see but it seems there was some embroidery that was removed. I considered selling it as it is but then I'm patient and like to embroider. :lol:

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: Kimono and obi repair: Embroidery materials

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:39 am

Wisteria_Gardens

By ribbon do you mean thick gold thread that looks like a very find thread wrapped with gold foil?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:40 am

maikofan128

No, I don't think that's it.

It is not thread, it is thicker, like a gold covered ribbon and it is (I guess) sewn on ( how do you conjugate the verb for sewing XD I am never sure?) with thread to the kimono.

It is the orange kimono on the picture but I included another picture fron a different kimono where the same thing shows up a bit better.

ainokimono
Senpai Shrimp (Admin)
Senpai Shrimp (Admin)

Post by ainokimono » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:41 am

The techique of laying a thread on top of the fabric and sewing it down with another thread is called "couching." You need to find a thick gold or metallic thread to lay down and an orange/red thread to sew it down. I have a few kimono that need the same repair, so my last few trips to Japan, I specifically looked for threads to match my projects at flea markets.

Here is a random website that seems to sell all the threads you would need for such a project:

http://www.midori-embroidery.com/

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:41 am

maikofan128

oh god that website rocks thank you! AND they ship internationally to my country thank you thank you you're a lifesaver :)

ainokimono
Senpai Shrimp (Admin)
Senpai Shrimp (Admin)

Post by ainokimono » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:42 am

Wow, really? That's excellent news! I really just clicked on a random site to give you an example - so glad it turned out to be exactly what you needed! Have fun 'couching' :)