Question, Have you ever seen an all machine sewn Yukata?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Question, Have you ever seen an all machine sewn Yukata?

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:41 am

Joshua

I don't mean a cheap Chinese made Yukata like object, but a genuine made to wear in Japan, inexpensive Yukata. I remember one of the Japanese ladies here talking about a cheap Supermarket yukata that she bought for her husband every Summer..what are they like?
One reason I ask is because I am just finishing the Yukata I am making for my niece, and most of my time has been spent hand sewing the seam allowances down. If machine finishing was ok it would have been done in a day.
The Yukata I bought via Rakutan had all the assembly seams machine sewn, but was then hand sewn along all the seam allowances and hems, which must have taken hours, and which I did not expect to see at all.
An all machine sewn and finished Yukata would also be more washing machine friendly....so do they exist?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: Question, Have you ever seen an all machine sewn Yukata?

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:42 am

owl

Yes they do. I saw them when I was in Japan and there are also many books that are in Japanese that are only about machine sewing kimono and yukata..so do what suits your needs!

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:42 am

SuperGrouper

There's a book on machine kimono (Making Casual Kimono & Yukata Patterns by Yumi Yamamoto) for sale at Etsy: listing #1 listing #2. I've heard that the methods aren't 100% traditional, but are authentic-looking and that it comes with patterns.

I think that all the yukata I have are machine-sewn, actually- but I haven't bothered to check and I didn't make them. (I'm at least pretty sure that the ichigo/strawberry one is.)

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:43 am

Joshua

I am quite happy handsewing, especialy if I am wanting to make a convincing historical costume, and I love my vintage originals, but......Sometimes I just want to make a decent piece for wear round the house or for a cosplay for myself or other people, that is not a yukata shaped object, but a modern Yukata or Kimono. Washing machine friendly, sturdy for general use and does not take a prohibitive length of time.
What I would like to know is how they are finished on the inside? The scans of the home sewing books and magazines I see here, all use hand sewing to finish.
Do they have the traditional tucks across the back, seam allowances turned to the front etc, but machined down rather than tacked or hidden/blind stitched. Or are they just....We have some kimono and yukata in the Wardrobe Dept. where I work part time, and one of them is labeled "made in Japan". It is made out of a nice printed western style bolt, with a one piece back, seams along the shoulder, no okume and assembled with an overlocker machine. It has all the style and grace of a hospital gown, and that is what I want to avoid.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:44 am

Strawberry Kimono

Yes, I'm wearing one right now. It's actually my husband's yukata, but we use them as robes around the house. All the yukata that we got for him from Rakuten were machine sewn, and we already went through 3-4 of them.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:45 am

Joshua

Strawberry Kimono how are they finished internaly. Flat fell, like a shirt, overlocker edged (ziz zag stitched) or with all the excess going the traditional way but just machined rather than tacked down?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:45 am

Peachchanvidel
Joshua wrote:Lyuba-chan how are they finished internaly. Flat fell, like a shirt, overlocker edged (ziz zag stitched) or with all the excess going the traditional way but just machined rather than tacked down?
I've got some machine sewn Yukata, all finished with overlock

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:46 am

Joshua

So, done with a Western style bolt, overlocked edges and no tacking or sewing down of the seam allowance.
I don't have an overlocker, though I might have z'zag stitch on the new machine I've been given...I think I have some experimenting ahead. First one though is to make a new Juban to go with my Yukata to dress it up as a Summer Kimono.
I think I will try machine felling down the seam allowance instead of tacking, a sort of hybrid finish, being I hope faster and stronger than overlocking and assembling.
Any other info on this would welcome, my niece is a demanding little weeaboo and I see myself making more stuff for her in the future.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:47 am

peachchanvidel

The middle-seam on the back is made like this, if this would help you.

And some parts are sewn together, then two times folded inwards and sewn shut (sleeve-opening)
or just ironed down (sode-part) some parts have zigzag-stitch and are folded one time inwards and just sewn down (sleeves-body-connection).. that varies...

And a zigzag-stitch should be fine, you could also add a straight stitch on the inner side of the zigzag to make it more durable, but after all it's just for the fabric not to open up...
The overlock-stitch only looks a bit fancier and uses more threads, but the most important thing about it is, that the machine cuts the part which is left over, so it looks less messy and is cutted just at the right place (and I think some of the stitches are flexible..).
Zigzag often rolls together and doesn't look as nice as the overlock-stitch, but it works. I made some cosplay that way before I got my overlock and it survived every machine-washing with no problems.. :3 loads of times.. X3
On newer machines are also some different edge-stitches (I name these stitches like I have them in the manual.. °_° translated, but.. somehow like that).
Zigzag with line on bottom and top (overlock-stitch), straight stitch with diagonal stitches (stretch-overlock-stitch) and Zigzag with a smaller Zigzag (Bikini-stitch - very stretchy)

I could also paint some pictures or make example-sewings with leftover-fabric if this would help..

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:48 am

Dragon_Geisha

you could also just use french seams for every seam since you don't have an overlocker...

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:49 am

peachchanvidel
Dragon_Geisha wrote:you could also just use french seams for every seam since you don't have an overlocker...
That doesn't work too well on the body-sleeve-connection and on the sleeve-opening.. so it's for a reason, that the only french seam is the beack-seam ^^°

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Joshua

I want to keep in the tradition as much as I can, so would like to avoid overlocked or z'zag edges as much as possible.
I have a new Juban to make, to fit with the Rakutan Yukata and so will experiment on that with flat felled seams following the lines of the traditional tacked down finish.
Thanks everyone for your contributions so far, still fishing for information and ideas though....has anyone else seen or got "Supermarket Yukata"?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Takenoko

If you are a ab hand with the invisible hem stitch on a sewing machine - it's the one that looks like this

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
V V V

i.e. 3 straight stitches and then a zigzag, done with the main fabric folded, and the straight stitches on the hem fold you won't see from the outside, you could do all your inside finishing that way and it would make a very good imitation of hand stitching from the outside.