Yukata patterns always repeat?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Yukata patterns always repeat?

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:18 am

Sakutama

Hi there,

I was wondering, do yukata's always have a repeating pattern or do they ever have a pattern like a Hōmongi kimono where there's a large image on the bottom, and accents of that image on the shoulder and sleeves. If a yukata was made this way, would it look like it's trying to imitate a kimono?

Been baffled on this one, thanks in advance!

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: Yukata patterns always repeat?

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:18 am

Cicada13

I can offer an example that says yes to one of your questions and no to the other. I have a yukata that has a lower-hem border, plus a larger patterned area over one sleeve and shoulder--the rest is white. Houmongi-style patterning can definitely be a thing.

However, this yukata is classic indigo and white and it's made of some very light cotton that's impossible to mistake for anything else. It is DEFINITELY a yukata, not a yukata trying to disguise itself as something more formal.

All the non-yukata cotton kimono I own are patterned like komon. I don't think a cotton kimono or yukata, even with houmongi patterning, is trying to be a houmongi so much as trying to be a more elegant version of an inherently informal type of garment.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:20 am

Cloverrain

I think basically you could say there are two types of yukata.

One type is the type you normally wear and has the repeating pattern.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukata#/m ... p1_006.jpg

The other type is patterned like a houmongi, but (as far as I have deduced) is mostly worn when performing/dancing.
http://morikami.files.wordpress.com/201 ... ancers.jpg

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:23 am

Sakutama

Thank you for the help! I appreciate it a lot!

I had been looking up pictures of yukatas to get an idea of the norm as far as designs go, and I only seem to find repeating patterns. But if I ever get around to making my own yukata, I would love it to have a hōmongi-like pattern, because they are usually my favorite! But I didn't want to bend the rules of yukatas TOO much, especially since I live in Japan!

Thanks so much!! (^∇^)

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:24 am

Cloverrain

One thing about the "houmongi style" patterns on yukata, they are in a specific style, usually single or maybe dual colour on white designs. And quite stylistic. Patterns do not cary any semblance to those on houmongi style kimono. I therefore would not make the design too intricate or elaborate, especially if you live in Japan.
Of course, nowadays it seems that things are getting less strict, especially if you go himestyle or something similar, but being a Westerner in Japan I think we have to conform more to the rules than any Japanese to be taken seriously, purely for the reason that we are wearing a garment that is not traditionally ours. That being said, it all depends on you surroundings. I would ask my Japanese friends, or maybe collegues what they think. I think they will be the best reference to what is appropriate that you have :)

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:24 am

Sakutama

Thank you for sharing! I will ask my koto teacher at some point, but I have a feeling most of the Japanese people I know really wouldn't know. In fact most of them don't know how to put on a kimono, and I almost do! I'm taking classes as they become available, my koto teacher watches out for them for me. So thankful. (^∇^)

But your right, even when I was buying my kimono bolt to be sent off and made, I noticed an adorable cat obi and even a Christmas obi in the kimono store. So it's entirely possible kimonos are being allowed a bit more freedom in design these days. I can't help wondering if they are trying to appeal to younger people since western dresses are more trendy and popular over kimonos unfortunetly.