Self made Kimono dump!!!! XD (new Editions)

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Self made Kimono dump!!!! XD (new Editions)

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:29 am

Dragon_Geisha

So I made this up this weekend and then also painted along the hem... here's some pics (sadly I forgot to take pics of the construction process)... also I must say that Yumi Yamamoto's book is so much easier to follow then Marshall's book... don't get me wrong, I love Mashall's book but it's just one of those books you really have to read thru a few times before you get what he's actually trying to say/get you to do...

anyways here's le pics...

^ The back and the front before I put it in the wash with some salt to set the colour and make sure it doesn't run everywhere...

^ planning out the design with a fabric pencil/tailors chalk...

^ the finished job after I've set the paint work and now I just have to iron the whole kimono...

This is the furisode that I made in December... this one was made using John Marshall's book and it isn't lined... the silk tan I got for $30 on sale and it was 39cm wide...

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: Self made Kimono dump!!!! XD (new Editions)

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:30 am

Chiisano Hato

Oh wow, that is so cool!! Love them! That gradation with art is amazing.

I'm glad to hear what you had to say about Yumi Yamamoto's book. I just ordered it hoping it would be easy to follow.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:30 am

Dragon_Geisha
Chiisana Hato wrote:Oh wow, that is so cool!! Love them! That gradation with art is amazing.

I'm glad to hear what you had to say about Yumi Yamamoto's book. I just ordered it hoping it would be easy to follow.

It's in Japanese but if you can read a little then you can get by... and you can get the jist of what shes saying thru the pics... it's also a non traditional way of making one... but as you can see the result looks the same...

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:31 am

Lumikettu

I just made a komon using this book. The images are really easy to follow on my opinion even if you do not read japanese.

Your handmade kimonos look so nice!

Here's the komon I made by using this book as a guide:

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:33 am

Dragon_Geisha

The latest edition!

It's a cotton flannelette so it'll be nice for winter... but not so heavy as to be bulky... I had to do some improve with one of the okumi as I'd run out of fabric... IYAH! and when I went to the store today it was no longer there (most likely sold, which is annoying as I only bought it yesterday :s, as the place is closing down and everything is 50% off)

(the photo doesn't really show how green it is) I'm also going to have to put longer sleeves on my juban... >_>

Sayuri
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Post by Sayuri » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:40 pm

I made this haori (lined) as a practice before I cut into the really pretty haori bolt I purchased recently. This one is made of fabrics from the thrift shop bin, so I'm not 100% sure on the fiber content, but I suspect it is mostly cotton.

I feel like it turned out really well, though I made the side gussets a little wide. It was my first lined project! :sword: :sword:

Here is an in-progress photo right before I added the colar that really shows the bright lining.