Width of the sleeve and family crests

Wim
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Width of the sleeve and family crests

Post by Wim » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:48 pm

A few more questions that are bugging me :cheeky_samurai:

Is it weird to wear a kimono where the yuki (裄 - distance from the seam in the back of a kimono to the end of the sleeve) is kinda short ?
Normally I need 78-82 cm, but seeing so many interesting kimono's with a sleeve width of around 70-73.. makes you doubt :laugh_samurai:

Second thought bugging me is ... often kimono or haori will have a family crest (mon) on it. Isn't it strange to walk with an (unknown) family crest or do people ignore it because a. you're a foreigner, b. do also not know the family crest details..

of course, initially speaking from a male perspective :samurai_05: :rank_heian: :samurai_05:

p.s. haven't found out what my family crest is so I'm using the flower-crest (hana komon) of my birthday for now (see Avatar image).
Find your own flower crest by visiting the english section at http://www.hanakomon.jp/e/index.php

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Wim's kimono page for men
https://www.oldjapan.org/menskimono/index.html

Gikuyu
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Re: Width of the sleeve and family crests

Post by Gikuyu » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:00 am

Wim wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:48 pm
Is it weird to wear a kimono where the yuki (裄 - distance from the seam in the back of a kimono to the end of the sleeve) is kinda short ?
Normally I need 78-82 cm, but seeing so many interesting kimono's with a sleeve width of around 70-73.. makes you doubt
For us taller people we don't have a lot of options, even more when money is limited thus making custom-sized kimono not among those options.
For women you have TL (Tall Length/generally longer length and wingspan) size modern kimono, which for some have worked great.

It depends aswell on how comfortable you are with showing some wrist, and how much too.
My ideal wingspan is 146, but I go as 'short' as 132, probably about the same distance as you do.
Some do really want their wrists to be covered, others don't mind as much.

Wim
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Post by Wim » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:46 am

> Some do really want their wrists to be covered, others don't mind as much.

Thanks for the reply, for a (sha/ro) summer kimono, after some thought, I personally could indeed find a shorter sleeve acceptable...
Now only if the prices of those kimono's weren't so high :dead_samurai:
(writing this I realize the prices are actually cheap, but not for my wallet)

Look at this, only $480 (ex import taxes, postage and 'service costs of the mail company') .... a steal as one could say...
But doubt it will still be for sale next year, or the following year :cheeky_samurai:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Wim's kimono page for men
https://www.oldjapan.org/menskimono/index.html

Kiyoe
Moderating Team
Moderating Team

Post by Kiyoe » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:32 pm

Foreigners generally have a lot of leeway when it comes to kamon. Unless they are one of the few who have apprenticed and earned the right to use a particular kamon through their school of dance, tea ceremony, performance, etc., there are few restrictions. There is a general one based on kiri that is common on rental pieces. But even for modern Japanese wearers, there are inconsistent traditions when it comes to inheriting family crests, and even inheriting kimono collections or purchasing used pieces means that for many, they may not be wearing their own family's mon.