"Kyoto Hanamachi" By Hiroshi MIZOBUCHI

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

"Kyoto Hanamachi" By Hiroshi MIZOBUCHI

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:39 am

NAME: Koumitsu

Mizobuchi, Hiroshi. Kyoto Hanamachi: Gion Kobu, Miyagawacho, Kamishichiken, Pontocho, Gion Higashi. Kyoto?: NAWASAWA Kozo, 2002.
ISBN: 4838103034

I love this book :) It just came in the mail...nope! I didn't buy it, sig.other did for me :)

It's 70% translated in English. It tells about the dances and festivals at in each district. It also has pictures of all the maiko from each district at the time of initial printing and their names in English and Japanese :) It's way cool :) It's all color... there are two pages of Oiran pics at the end, to boot :)

[The review exempted from book guidelines because it was posted prior to the creation of the forum. --bebemochi]

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: "Kyoto Hanamachi" By Hiroshi MIZOBUCHI

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:40 am

NAME: matsukaze

I just read my copy that came in the mail today!! was waiting forever for it to arrive...

so it's nothing we all don't know already if you've read most of the overview books before, but it talks in detail about the calendar events like hatsuyori and miyabikai that we don't really know as much about. great pictures accompany the descriptions.

for me the real treat was the maiko portraits, since they are from 2005, so it's fun to see the senior maiko right now as junior girls.

a lot of it is in english, but the japanese explanations offer more detail, so if you can read japanese, DEFO get it.