Tayuu more sophisticated then the Geiko and maiko?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Tayuu more sophisticated then the Geiko and maiko?

Post by IG Team » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:51 am

kamira-san:

i have heard from many people(not on this forum) that they think that the tayuu is more sophisticated and magnificent in beauty, and japanese art, then the geiko and maiko. and some of them are even looking down on the geiko and maiko saying that the maiko and geiko are of lower class not good enough. personal i like the maiko and geiko best, from my point of view i don't think that the geiko and maiko are less sophisticated then the tayuu. i do know that there dosen't exist to many tayuu, but what do you think? :?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: Tayuu more sophisticated then the Geiko and maiko?

Post by IG Team » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:52 am

hibana:

I have not heard anyone on this board compare maiko and geiko unfavorably to tayu. Certainly tayu and oiran have more splendid and ornate costumes, but that was historically because of laws which restricted the kimono and hair ornaments of the geisha. Maiko and geiko have a living, self-perpetuating tradition, whereas to the best of my knowledge there is only one working tayu currently, and there are no oiran. Modern tayu are actresses who preserve the artistic traditions of courtesan culture without the sexual aspects and social framework that originally sustained them. Geiko and maiko do what geiko and maiko have always done, that is, entertain clients by means of various gei. They survived by adapting in ways that the tayu could not.

Personally, I am fascinated by tayu because I see them as a thing about to be lost. Girls do not flock to Kyoto seeking training as tayu-actresses. (At least, I have not heard of it. Somebody who knows about these things, correct me if I am wrong.) There is little information on them available in English, or at all. Because of this, when I see photos of tayu (former and modern) it makes me very curious. I am fascinated by their outlandish kimono and hairstyles, but that does not mean that I find the appearance of maiko or geiko to be less attractive or interesting. Rather, I find myself drawn to tayu (appearance- wise, anyway) precisely because I don't know very much about them. It's the lure of the unknown. Also, I wonder how they managed to walk around in those ridiculous shoes wearing so much clothing with an entire jewelry store on top! :)

Sorry, I wrote a novel there.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:53 am

Kumiyanagi:

I found while studying the old vintage photos of Tayuu/Oiran one thing study out: they all looked so very sad and distant. For me this is their main appeal, they look more human than geiko.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:54 am

Maiko_wannabe:

i belive that since maiko and geiko have their own catagory for me and tayuu and oiran have their own catagory. so I belive that geiko and maiko are the best in their division as tayuu and oiran are the best in their's. :) but thats just how i see it.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:54 am

GothicBlossom:

I must admit I'm fascinated by Oiran and Tayuu because there aren't any real ones left.
As a result of that, it's much harder to find out about them and it gives them a mystique and allure. You can't help looking at the old photographs and wondering what their lives were like....what they went through. :tayuu

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:55 am

Mamehana:

I really do admire them. They went through so much in their lives, I can't imagine what it was like to be sold, ripped away from your home, and in essence your innocence destroyed. Yet, they had to find some pleasure in their lives through the arts and other uses. In a world where they could not love when they wanted, and their bodies could be sold night after night, the fact that they survived it at all is amazing. And if they had not been around we might not have the Geiko and Maiko developing in this time period.

AubergineFleur
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Post by AubergineFleur » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:28 am

太夫 Tayuu are the highest rank whether they are musicians or courtesans or other.

Quat
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Post by Quat » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:56 pm

There was a comment made on a blog which focused on Geiko/Maiko that Tayuu weren't as talented as Geiko and I was ???? confused! I was definitely under the impression that Tayuu were a step above, skill wise?